Thakher Investment and Real Estate Development Company Limited is an investment and real estate multinational business which is entirely focused on the investment, real estate contracting, building and construction of the residential, commercial and hospitality sector in the holy city of Makkah. With an active and widespread reach across Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the company primarily works in the financial and real estate sector with its services catering to personnel in Saudi Arabia.
The Thakher Development faced the following Challenges which encouraged them to choose AWS
- Thakher Development needed to save the upfront capital to be invested in a CAPEX model and transition to an OPEX Model of expenditure which would allow them to pay on a monthly basis only for the services used.
- Thakher Development had an On-premise infrastructure where they were running their SAP Application thereby requiring high maintenance and exorbitant costs to be spent.
- The access to the internal SAP application was required to be bifurcated among the different employees and departmental groups with the implementation of the principle of providing separation of duties with proper authorization and authentication.
- Thakher Development needed to track any changes or activity on their infrastructure at a granular level
- Thakher Development required their different resource metrics to be measured and monitored in order to upscale operational performance.
Thakher Development Infrastructure is running on AWS Cloud, where various AWS services have been deployed with respect to the customer Requirement such as CloudTrail, CloudWatch, IAM in order to protect data, restrict Access, monitoring of security related activities and generate automated responses.
Thakher used AWS CloudTrail in order to enable Governance, Auditing and compliance monitoring. CloudTrail helped Thakher to record each API activity and made sure that every API is written to a log. Similarly, AWS CloudWatch was implemented for monitoring the resources which are being used and maintaining them accordingly. It helped them in collecting logs and metrics data. Also, AWS IAM enabled the customer to securely control access to the AWS resources which have been deployed, this service helped them to manage number of users and creating groups to manage different kind of users.
Each EC2 instance has an attached Elastic Block Store (EBS) volume, a high-performance block storage service designed for use with Amazon EC2 for both throughput and transaction intensive workloads at any scale. This pairing of EC2 instances and EBS Volumes resides safely in the AWS Virtual Private Cloud (VPC). The VPC then provisions a logically isolated section of the AWS Cloud where the resources were launched in a defined virtual network. The VPC was divided into a public subnet and three private subnets, where each private subnet was host to its own inter-related suite of applications.
Thakher Development also used other services of AWS like CloudTrail which enables governance, compliance, operational auditing and risk auditing along with a service for monitoring and observability named Amazon CloudWatch. Finally, AWS Systems Manager was setup for Thakher Development for visibility and control of infrastructure on AWS. AWS Systems Manager also provided a unified user interface so that Thakher Development’s personnel can view operational data from multiple AWS services thereby allowing them to automate operational tasks across varied AWS resources.