Role of Infrastructure Readiness Assessment Before Cloud Migration
A record number of organizations have the vision of moving to cloud-based services for further growth, security, and accessibility objectives. But, not every on-premise IT system is ready to support cloud services. A cloud readiness assessment can evaluate the current workloads and provide a plan of action for migration and performance in the cloud environment.
With a cloud readiness assessment, your company will be able to identify potential security threats before cloud migration. These will further help in maintaining business data and applications in the cloud space. The assessment is also essential to bridge the gap between the current organization’s security requirements and the security policies of the best cloud services providers.
This guide talks about the significance of infrastructure readiness assessment before cloud migration.
Why Do You Need A Cloud Readiness Assessment?
A cloud readiness assessment is much more than just data gathering, as it evaluates the overall business goals for cloud migration. Moreover, the readiness assessment is responsible for creating a foolproof plan and aligning it with the secure migration strategy. The entire set of workloads might not be ready to support the cloud delivery and need refactoring before you make the cloud migration plan.
A cloud readiness assessment plays a vital role in determining goals, dependencies, budget, application, and compliance for successful cloud migration while keeping a check on the following –
– Network provider and ISP (Internet Service Provider) details.
– System inventory and active applications.
– Disaster recovery plans and business continuity objectives.
– Business workflows and dependencies.
– Age and potential of network equipment.
What Cloud Readiness Assessment Has To Offer?
One of the core components of successful cloud migration is the consideration of business goals. It is a must for both in-house staff and business stakeholders to ensure that the business justifications for moving the enterprise to the cloud remain in synchronization. Cloud readiness assessment ensures that the overall business strategy is in alignment with the long-term cloud migration and services objectives.
#2. Application readiness
Almost every enterprise believes that its applications will interact well post-cloud migration. However, they end up facing delays and lower productivity later after unreliable cloud migration. You can simply avoid the problem after realizing the significance of cloud readiness assessment. Determining the cloud readiness of business applications is completely different from the process for your company’s network architecture and systems.
With cloud infrastructure readiness assessment, an organization can:
– Review each application, know their architecture, and also determine how these applications run in the cloud.
– Work with a professional application vendor to make sure that the cloud migration is ready to support the application.
– Determine if the application is on the web and possible to migrate it to Platform as a Service (PaaS) or Software as a Service (SaaS). Doing this can significantly reduce the overall management costs and IT burden of managing applications or operating systems.
#3. Collecting Data
It is vital to collect information regarding the existing IT environment of all sites and locations for effective cloud migration. With the help of accurate and reliable data, a company can make a better assessment and overall strategy.
With a cloud readiness assessment, a company can review:
– Documentation of network paths to the Internet
– Age of the equipment
– Identification of both primary and secondary routes to the Internet
– Use of the cloud for enterprise applications
#4. Assessing the potential of the company’s IT team
This is the most important step involved in the cloud readiness assessment as it helps the companies understand what their in-house team is capable of. To do the same, an enterprise must figure out the answers to the following questions:
– Can your in-house IT team ensure smooth migration to the cloud?
– Does your team have experience in cloud migration?
After assessing the in-house IT team’s capabilities and experience, a company should make sure to fill the skill and resource gaps immediately.
#5. Identifying security requirements
Security is one of the most crucial concerns for many enterprises that are contemplating migrating to the cloud. Therefore, an organization planning to shift to the cloud must assess its existing security mechanisms and identify what its security and compliance requirements are. This further will help the company choose the right cloud platform adhering to all its needs.
Cloud readiness assessment can help an organization with the following mentioned points:
– Identifying and accessing management
– Knowing compliance requirements
– Figuring out disaster recovery mechanisms
– Firewalls and endpoint security
Based on this IT assessment, companies can also evaluate the offerings of the chosen cloud service provider and compare them against its security requirements.
#6. Cost estimation and planning
Cloud readiness assessment enables an enterprise to perform cost estimation and planning related to the migration –
– Does the cost of migrating to the cloud outweigh the current investment in the company’s on-premises IT infrastructure?
– Is a company aware of its future business outcomes?
– What is the company’s budget for both operating expenses and capital expenses?
Cloud migration is just not a lift and shift operation but a challenging task for any organization. Therefore, it is crucial to perform a cloud readiness assessment to figure out all contingencies beforehand.
Citrus Consulting is the top cloud computing company in Dubai that offers tools and services specifically designed to help enterprises assess their infrastructure readiness for cloud migration. Not only cloud readiness assessment by professional service providers will help companies gain a complete understanding of their current IT infrastructure and potential pitfalls but also enables them to carefully plan the subsequent steps for the success of cloud migration. One of the leading cloud service providers in the UAE, Citrus Consulting has a clear understanding of the technical nuances of the cloud infrastructure it is dealing with and also potential traffic-based challenges.
For more information, contact Citrus Consulting at (+971) 04 516 1500 or email email@example.com.
Post a Comment